This is How To Install Deepin on Chromebook:
Refreshing notes: At the terminal prompt, type sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1 <— enables booting from USB
Prepare a USB Flash Drive and internet connection!
- Download Deepin ISO here.
- Make a Live USB.
- Go to “On Chromebook” part below.
If the installation fails (mouse crosshair or just not running), try using the locked section below.
On A Unit With Deepin Installed
- Copy the Deepin .iso to a unit running Deepin (not a Chromebook). <— yes, it sounds counterproductive, but it works.
- Find and open Deepin Boot Maker or simply by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T and type sudo open deepin-boot-maker
- Select an ISO image file and navigate to where your Deepin ISO is.
- Click Next and select the destination (your USB Flash drive).
- Follow the instruction and wait until the Live USB making is finished.
- Follow the instruction below.
On Chromebook Part 1
- With your Chromebook turned off hold down the ESC and F3/Refresh While keeping them held down, press the power. You will be brought to the white screen.
- Press Ctrl + D to bypass this screen, then Enter.
- On the next screen press Ctrl + D again to bypass this message.
- Wait until your Chromebook finished the process. It will be restarted and you’ll see the screen with the red exclamation mark.
- Developer mode is now enabled, power off the Chromebook.
- Grab a snack.
Remember this: From now on, pressing Ctrl + D on the OS verification screen will make it go to Chrome OS. While Ctrl + L will get you to the other boot option.
Ctrl + D = Chrome OS
Ctrl + L = Other boot disks
Make this two a habit, you’ll need it, in the long run.
On Chromebook Part 2
- Now turn on your Chromebook
- Press Ctrl + D at the startup screen, you know what it does.
- Don’t log in. If you reach the login screen, you failed. :p
- Press Ctrl + Alt + F2/Right Arrow at the Chrome OS login screen.
- Login using the password chronos on the black screen.
- At the terminal prompt, type sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1 <— I always forget this line. That’s why I wrote it at the very beginning of this article.
- Turn your Chromebook off.
- Grab a glass of beer.
On Chromebook Final Part
- Plug the Deepin Live USB into your Chromebook “fast” port. It’s usually the black one (no pun intended).
- Start your Chromebook and press (yes!) Ctrl + L.
- Press Esc immediately to hold the startup.
- Choose you Live USB by typing the number.
- It will then open the installer.
- Enjoy your Chromepin. 🙂
If you have any difficulties, please refer to my article of how I installed Gallium using the process alike (but different), and manage your way from there. If you still failed and you’re sure it’s not a hardware issue, let me know in the comment section below.
And that’s How To Install Deepin on Chromebook. Cheers!